- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (4 cups)
- 1, 16-ounce jar of salsa
- 1, 15-ounce can of black beans
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 TBSP chili powder
Topping Ideas (optional):
- Red onion
- Greek yogurt (vs. sour cream) *great for protein
IF you want to add more protein and are not vegan, use chicken broth/bone broth instead of vegetable broth, bone broth has a ton of protein (10g protein per serving)! You can add chicken or beef as well (25g of protein per 4oz). Adding in 0% Greek yogurt also adds protein!
- Dice up the onion. Wash and cut up the sweet potatoes into squares.
- In a large pot over medium heat, brown your onions in 1 TBSP oil (any kind). Cook on medium heat until soft.
- Add sweet potato and chili powder. Cook for 3 minutes. Then add salsa and vegetable stock.
- Bring mixture to a low boil on medium high heat. Then lower heat to medium-low and simmer.
- Add black beans, cover and cook for 30 more minutes (until sweet potatoes are tender and soup is thick).
If you let the soup sit for a few hours or in the fridge overnight, the flavor "marinates" and pops much more vs. serving immediately. When served, top with whatever your heart desires! Enjoy.
Serving size: 3/4 cup, 6 servings total
- Macros: 160 calories, 0.5g fat, 33g carbs, 9g fiber, 8g protein
- Macros with Chicken Broth: 175 calories, 0.5g fat, 33g carbs, 9g fiber, 11g protein
- Macros with Chicken Breast: 280 calories, 3g fat, 33g carbs, 9g fiber, 33g protein
- Macros with Chicken Broth & Chicken Breast: 295 calories, 8.5g fat, 33g carbs, 9g fiber, 36g protein
*Macros with Chicken Broth assumes 1/3 cup Chicken Broth per serving
*Macros with Chicken Breast assumes 4 oz Chicken Breast per serving