The past 2-3 months we've gone mostly Vegan, for two main reasons.
1) It has been saving us a TON of $$ to not be buying 5-7lbs of organic, high quality chicken breast each week and instead buying lentils, chickpeas and such. We were already eating a fair amount of fruit and veggies, so the amount of produce we buy hasn't changed.
2) During our 10 weeks in Africa we were given rice & beans for most every meal. Upon returning home to eating meat several times a day, we realized digestion was painful. We decided to pull back on the meat and we feel lighter and really good!
We still consume a lot of protein because otherwise for us eating Vegan is not practical, it leaves us feeling weak and hungry. We consume a lot of plant proteins in foods and plant based protein powders. For family gatherings and such we still consume meat, so as not to complicate life for others. We will also sometimes consume some Greek yogurt, cage-free eggs or feta cheese.
Here today I am sharing what most our lunches look like being Vegan.
Acai Blueberry Smoothie Bowl:
*Keep ingredient organic when possible (especially blueberries)
- 1 packet of frozen acai (Trader Joe's or Whole Foods) *see below photo
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 TBSP raw agave nectar (Can do less than 1 TBSP)
- 1 cup raw greens (any kind of blend)
- 1 3/4 scoops of pea protein (26g protein)
- 1/2 cup filtered H2O
- Soften the frozen acai packet under hot water for 15 seconds
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until a thick texture
*Make sure not to add too much water!
(our toppings vary from day to day)
- Fresh fruit
- Raw cacao nibs
- Ground flax seed
- Homemade granola
- Shredded coconut
- Dark chocolate chips
- Almond butter/peanut butter
- Moringa powder or beet root powder
Macros with no toppings: 315 calories, 29g carbs, 8g fat, 29g protein, 6g fiber