Prep time: 10 min (then wait 1-2 hours) Cook time: 10-24min
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (canned or cooked) *See below for how to cook these!
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 TBSP chopped parsley
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro
- 1 TSP salt
- 1/2-1 TSP crushed red pepper (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP baking powder
- 4-6 TBSP flour
- Vegetable oil if you decide to fry them!
- Blend onions and chickpeas in food processor.
- Add spices (parsley, cilantro, salt, crushed pepper, garlic, cumin) and blend, do not puree.
- Sprinkle in flour and baking soda, then pulse.
- Toss the mixture in the fridge until chilled (1-2 hours)
- Then roll into balls and air fry (350 degrees @12 minutes on each side)
- OR fry them in oil in a pan. To fry in pan, put about 2 inches of vegetable oil in and get it to a boil, then toss in your falafel balls and turn them over once brown, getting both sides.
*Makes 16 balls.
- Macros with vegetable oil: unknown
- Macros air fried: 22 calories each, 4g carbs, 0.3g fat, 1g protein, 1g fiber
4 ways to cook chickpeas/garbanzo beans:
- Method 1: Long soak and simmer.
- Rinse, then soak your beans in a bowl for 8-10 hours then cook on medium heat (simmer) on stovetop for 2 hours.
- Method 2: Quick soak cook.
- Rinse and add beans to stove top. Add 4-6 inches of water above beans and bring to a boil. Then simmer with lid on for about 3 hours.
- Method 3: Slow Cooker.
- Rinse beans and add beans and water. Cook for 4 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat.
- Method 4: Pressure cooker.
- Place the water and chickpeas in pressure cooker. Water should cover chickpeas and come to the 1/3 full line. Cover and lock lid. Bring pressure to high heat for 15 minutes. Then reduce to low heat. Cook for 45 minutes.