I've always doubted that dates could taste good in a dessert or snack. I never came to enjoy the Larabar or the Rx Bar due to the "date" like taste & texture. But recently I've seen all these yummy looking balls .... that people have been calling "date balls". I withheld myself due to doubts. And after a couple years, I've finally caved. I bought my 1st container of dates and gave this thing a swing.
And well dang, I ended up LOVING the taste of these! They are rich, chocolatey and the sea salt pops making it have that "sweet & savory" type of flavor on the tongue.
It takes just minutes to make and it's GF, Vegan & Raw! Not shabby.
Prep time: 10 min total
- 1 cup of raw almonds (or walnuts)
- 1 cup of pitted medjool dates
- 2 TBSP of cacao powder
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt (based on your taste preference)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
*Optional: a sprinkle of cinnamon (I did 1/2 TSP give or take)
I've tried with both almonds & walnuts. Walnuts make them a bit more oily in texture, but taste more "creamy". The almond ones have more of a "cookie" like taste.
- In a food processor add in the almonds (or walnuts). Blend until it becomes grain-like
- Add in the pitted medjools and cacao, then blend until smooth
- Toss in the sea salt, vanilla and cinnamon and either stir by hand or blend again.
- Shape the mixture into balls and enjoy!
*Keep in the fridge so they maintain their shape! They taste best cold
- Makes approx. 30 date balls.
- Macros per ball: 40 calories, 2g fat, 4.6g carbs, 1g protein, 1g fiber