“What is with this Kombucha kraze….?”, you may sometimes ask yourself. What is Kombucha and why are so many people obsessed? Is it reaaallly that great for you?
My 1st taste of Kombucha was on one of my 1st coffee dates with my now husband. He seemed to always have a Kombucha freshly opened in his car or many empty bottles rolling around in the back seats. My 1st taste was a BAD experience. All I could think was it was like a sparkling vomit, or as a friend of mine would say, “Moldy tea”. I actually began to question this guy I had just started to like/date, thinking his taste for health might be a wee bit too extreme for my liking.
Upon studying the beverage and understanding what it was and how it works in your body; curiosity struck and I gave it a 2nd try. Just like sushi, sometimes a 2nd or 3rd try is what you need to fall in love… and then it is all over.
Well anyways…. Back to the topic.
What is Kombucha?
A fermented tea. It is usually lightly sweetened. Some say it tastes like a cross between pop and beer.
How is it made?
The process to make Kombucha is by taking a “SCOBY” (sometimes called “the mother”) then add it to either brewed green or black tea with some cane sugar and/or fruit juice. The fermentation process is around 10 days. During this time, a thin colony of bacteria forms on top of the tea actually producing a new “SCOBY”. In the fermentation process a lot of the sugar is absorbed. The longer the fermentation, the less sugar.
S.C.O.B.Y. stands for Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria & Yeast. A lot of people call a SCOBY a mushroom.
- Due to the fermentation process; Kombucha, once enclosed, self-carbonates.
- Kombucha contains alcohol. It’s a very small amount, usually between .5 and 3%.
- Kombucha is believed to go back 2000 years, having begun in Asia.
Attributes of Kombucha:
- It is living (Probiotics)
- Antioxidants (Polyphenols)
Benefits of Kombucha:
- Improved digestion (healthy gut)
- Improves metabolism
- Can aide in weight loss (limits fat accumulation)
- Alkalizing effect
- Can reduce sugar cravings
- Strengths immune system (can control free radicals)
- Decreases oxidative stress
- Protects against cell damage
- Can aide those with hypoglycemia and diabetes
- Reduces joint pain
- Can heal leaky gut and ulcers
- Cancer prevention
- Supports preservation of collagen
- Aides in restoring healthy bacteria in gut after antibiotic use
When I BEST like to drink it and what types:
I like to drink it most often after I have a cheat meal. The enzymes in the beverage help with digestion of a large meal. I only like Kombucha with ginger in it. The ginger soothes your stomach and has MANY medicinal properties.
Ginger infused Kombuchas (GT brand):
Trilogy (fruity), Gingerade, Gingerberry (blueberry) Cayennade, Hibiscus Ginger, Heart Beet.
Macros (of most) GT Kombuchas (16 oz):
60 calories, 14 carbs, 0 protein, 0 fat
(Less carbs than a piece of fruit, not bad!)
Booch. Buchi. Bucha.
SO, in conculusion, .... go get your booch on!